3.05.2009

Just Give Me the Friggin' Magic Bullet

Over the last few weeks I have been listening to the 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris during my workouts. (In a business course I am in they call that a full move, workout and learn, instead of compartmentalizing the two). I have really enjoyed his perspective on work, not as a “consume your life” activity, but as a “fuel for your life” activity.

While reading the book he pitches a product that he sells called Brain Quicken. It is a speed reading course that he raves about. Disregarding the conflict of interest, it is something I have been intrigued by for some time.

I have a stack of books on my nightstand that I cannot get through quick enough. Feels like too much to learn and too little time…so that led me to the investigation of speed reading. I researched some books and sites, one of the better appears to be mother of speed reading, Evelyn Wood. Lastly, I fortunatlely consulted with a friend who is an avid reader and relentless learner. He is the CEO of DotNetNuke and possibly the best thinker I have ever associated with.

He also was intrigued by the concept, did some research of his own, sent me the link to StraightDope that explains " you get the text's general drift while remaining largely innocent of the details, sometimes embarrassingly so." 

More importantly, he made an observation that I should have made myself, “We need good research and a very respectable reference before we expend time (forget money) on this.” 

We both realized that we have never met someone who is a great thinker and wildly successful in business, let alone life, that is a speed reader.

Mike Ditka, the head coach of the Super Bowl champion Bears said it best,If things came easy, then everybody would be great at what they did, let's face it.

Being a life long learner is not easy and it is that very fact that separates those who are willing to pay the price from the rest of the field. Knowledge wins in this new economy and to gain it takes time, energy, sacrifice and persistence.