12.08.2008

My Wife Was Right... Again

As is true to the relationship my wife and I have, she was right, but I wouldn’t accept it until someone else told me.

I had tried to get her to read more business and personal growth books for a number of years as she read a bunch of stuff that would surely never make anybody any money. She reads a wide variety of literature including the classics and poetry.

Wise old me had spent the last decade reading the business bestsellers along with every financial book I could find. Although I have learned a lot over the years, it was not the secret formula.

It was then that I was introduced to an article in the New York Times titled C.E.O. Libraries Reveal Keys to Success.

Michael Moritz, venture capitalist and owner of a huge library, says he can’t discard books.

The article is summed up best by a line in it that declares, Serious leaders who are serious readers build personal libraries dedicated to how to think, not how to compete.”

To be really wealthy I cannot copy or mimic what others are doing and expect to get top 1% results. In other words, if I spend my time attempting to do what others have done I will always be one step behind. I must learn to think for myself.

What do the best thinkers in our country read?

Read the article and see for yourself, but don’t tell your wife that this is where you learned it!